Saturday, April 21, 2007

Parkinson's Walk to Fight Step by Step


We had beautiful weather for our Parkinson's Association of San Diego fundraiser Walk today.


After a stormy Friday weather we were happy to see blue skies.





10 of us walked. 5 in my family and 5 neighbors on our street: Marcy, Cori, Susan, Jean & Rhonda. The team raised $420.

Derek, Geoff, Katherine & James

Susan, Cori, Marcy, Laurie, Jean & Rhonda

After the walk we got a family picture with the bagpiper that played during the walk.


Susan's father passed away last year too.
She & I check in with each other on how we are doing.
She asked how I was feeling about my dad as the walk started and I was doing well.... didn't feel sad or anything until I heard that bagpiper about halfway through and he was playing the military taps.
That got to me and I welled up.
My dad was Retired Navy, the walk was being held on the former site of the Nval Training Center - where my newlywed father came at age 20, from Iowa, to do basic training. So the memory of my dad being on these grounds 20 years ago, I may be walking somewhere he did.
And the sound of Taps will probably get me for a while. The military representation at my father's funeral in Iowa played Taps as they folded the American Flag and handed it to my oldest son, James. That's a memory that will choke me up.

No comments: