Monday, July 23, 2007

Summer Reading

I just finished reading Marley & Me by John Grogan. My mom passed it on to me after enjoying it on the plane ride to Iowa. It was very cute & heartwarming. I laughed outloud many times.
I never thought ahead to "the end" until it was time to read about his illnesses and old age problems. He was over 13 and started developing things that happen to dogs: deafness, blindness, hips going out. It took quite a few pages and a few tears to get to the end of the book.

Alice G. of Cottage Blessings left a comment on our Boating at the Lake Trip that it reminded her of the book Swallows & Amazons. I have never heard of that book. After looking it up on Amazon to see what it was about, I was happy to find that the El Cajon Library had a copy available.

Thanks to her, when I went to check out Swallows & Amazons from the library, I found a used books 1/2 price sale - I couldn't pass it up.

Look at all the books I found for $2.75


A Horse Called Dragon
& National Velvet. Horse books for Katherine.

Paddington at Large, for Derek.

Robin Hood and Ghost in the Mirror for James.

A Proud Taste for Scarlet and Minver. This is for James & me. The kids are studying Medieval period next semester so this will fit in. I'll read it first, but it should be great for him. I was very happy to see that the author is E.L. Konigsburg who wrote a favorite book From The Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler.

Otherwise known as Sheila the Great and Fudge-a-Mania - classic Judy Blume books.

For me What a Girl Wants (some chick lit) and Under the Tuscan Sun. (for summer armchair travelling to Italy)

For homeschool and novelty: Illustrated Games and Rhythms for Children: Primary Grades Frank H. Geri, Director of Playgrounds, Bellingham, Washington; 1955
The illustrations are so cute.

I'll write more later. The kids are ready to go swimming.

No comments: